Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Safe and Secure



There was one time, perhaps a year ago, when I used PayPal to make a purchase, I think on Amazon.com. Anyway, on Sunday, October 12, someone gained access to my PayPal account which was tied to my bank account. That evening we began to receive emails from PayPal which
seemed to be odd. I didn't trust the emails so I went to the PayPal site and logged in and everything looked Chinese. They changed the language on the account. The next day on Monday I found out that they had accessed my bank account for $137.50. We contacted the bank. Stop payments were issued. And we were not out of pocket but had to close the account and open a new one. The interesting part is, after a round about way of contacting PayPal in English (which was not easy), I found that purchases were made in Euros not US dollars.

Safe and Secure. Yeah, right.